Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Motivation

Today, I seem to be lacking the motivation that I need.  Especially to finish my training courses that I started a while back.  I did manage to apply for a few more positions, but right now it just seems like a numbers game.

I have followed some of the guidelines that I learned about in order to get a job.  Networking being one of them.  However, I have not tried cold calling at all.  In my opinion, cold calling reminds me of how people react when they hear from a telemarketer.  The person was interrupted from their work to answer what I call a "sales" call.  I haven't even tried to cold call someone whose name I got as a referral.

I know that my motivation level is not where is should be and that does have a tremendous impact on how we carry out a successful job search.

So the question remains, How Do I Increase My Motivation Level?

One thing I know is that writing does help motivate me as well as reading.  A support network is also important in staying motivated.  My husband does a great job supporting me with motivation, but sometimes that is not enough.  I try to reach out to others, but those that are employed seem to busy to assist me in my job search efforts.

Rejections from employers or failure to find work can have a serious effect on our ability to remain motivated.  Its difficult to remain neutral when you receive an rejection letter, even if it is a "template" letter.

Job searching alone can be a difficult and mind-boggling task. That is why it is important to keep focused on the rewards of a successful career, and not on the challenges that you encounter throughout your job search.

I am thinking about writing down my job search goals each week.  Maybe make a list of people that can help provide encouragement.

Remember that this is your life and nobody can live it. You are in charge of realizing your full potential, but the key is persistence. And persistence is based on determination, which is driven by your motivation.

Just like the Book The Little Engine That Could "I think I can, I think I can, I know I can, I know, I can....."

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there Marlene. I've been in your shoes in the past, and I know the unknown is hard to grasp. I came to find out that when I didn't try so hard, things came to me. I do believe God has a plan. Right now you are right were He wants you to be. Take each day at a time and utilize each day as it "comes to you" at its fullest. Whenever the time is right for you, things will happen. I honestly do believe that things happen for a reason. Take care and don't be too hard on yourself. You are at the right place right now. Whatever happens tomorrow is meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlene, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Remember, everything happens for a reason and the reason right now that you can't find what you are looking for is that it is waiting for you around the corner. It isn't quite the right time but it will come. Many times things come to us when we are least expecting them so maybe take a break and stop looking and it will fall into your lap! I know that eventually you will find it or it will find you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the uplifting comment. Just wish it would happen sooner, rather then later.

    ReplyDelete