Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Elevator Speech

This morning I got to thinking about my elevator speech.  I admit that I am extremely uncomfortable with the "speech".  When I am asked, "What do/did you do?  My response is usually "Oh I did project coordinator work."  I never elaborate.  Assuming the person asking the question, doesn't really care.  Perhaps I believe that it is just a perfunctory question.  I really want to be able to let my speech roll off my tongue.  Let's try on some for size.

"I have experience in assisting projects over one million dollars, from concept to completion.  Including database analysis, database management and overall administrative functions."

blach!  It just doesn't come natural to me.  I have a hard time selling what I do even to myself.  As if what I do/did doesn't even matter.

Someone please help me here.   I am drowning. 

"I am a experienced project assistant with a background in database management, analysis and highly competent administrative skills."

I don't like that either.  How can I get what I do across to others in a mater of fact way, without either sounding rehearsed or as if what I do doesn't matter?

Amazon.com suggests Give Your Elevator Speech a Lift!  Perhaps I should give it a try? 

Well enough said.  Until tomorrow......

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mar -

    Good post! It's funny as I was on the phone with a friend and told her that I had something to deal with when I saw your post. I shot you an email with details.

    I must say that I deal with the same issue. I am very limited with my responsibilities responses in interviews and I think that is what hurts me also.

    MZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also meant to mention to you...I looked this book up and they have a .PDF version that you can download for $6...I think it was the author's website. :)

    ReplyDelete