Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A funny thing happened.....or not!

Wednesdays are my "accountability" days.  Since I belong to a Job Search Work Team, each Wednesday we report our numbers to the team.  How many jobs we posted, how many interviews, referrals, job offers, hours networking, etc.  Then we make a list of agenda items to discuss. 

Today the first agenda item, brought up by little ole me, was how to avoid job search depression and feeling desperate.  Turns out Charlene was feeling the same way, but provided the group with a great list of things to do.  We all received a copy and one item on the list was to do something we are a little uncomfortable doing. 

So, I decided that I would try that immediately after the meeting.  I posted for a Project Coordinator position at a company that happens to have an office in the exact same building and same floor where our meetings are held.  Now, out of my comfort zone, I walked into their office and asked the receptionist if she wouldn't mind passing my resume on to the hiring manager.  She said she would be glad to send it via company mail.  Wow, that was so much easier than I expected to be.

As soon as I arrived home, I knew I was going to blog about the list that Charlene provided to the team.

I open my portfolio and search through all my papers, and, to my wondering eyes, the document is missing in action.  Now where did it go?  I gotta tell you the thought occurred to me, did it get attached to my resume that I provided to the receptionist?  I am praying to God that it did not, and perhaps I just left it on the conference room table.  Someone please tell me that is what happened.  Can you imagine getting that list of how to avoid job search depression with your resume!!!!!  I wonder if I am going to even sleep tonight, wondering if that is what I did.  I don't think I will ever find out either.

I'm melting, Oh What a world, what a world! (thank you Wicked With of the West)

What more can I say?  I think its best to leave on that note....

4 comments:

  1. Can I play devils advocate for a moment????

    What if in fact it IS attached to your resume? It is something that none of the rest of the resumes will have attached. It may actually make the hiring manager have a heart and say, I really need to see this person...she has a phenomenal skill set and she has this 'dont be depressed' checklist attached. It could actually work to your benefit.

    Either way - DON'T SWEAT IT! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for making me Laugh Out Loud for real....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlene,
    There was an extra copy of the list sitting in the middle of the table in front of you, and I picked it up. So don't lose any more sleep, it very well may have been yours! We should also credit Susan Dittmann of the East Bay Women's Job Search Network for creating the list!
    BTW, I really like your blog which has motivated me to get started on one myself!

    ReplyDelete