Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tie a Knot, and Hang On......

Job searching can make you feel down in the dumps, frustrated, and feeling borderline hopeless that we will never get the interview or another offer!  At times the process can seem daunting, overwhelming, or even frustrating. Today, I want to be the rooting section for everyone and hopefully provide you with a little hope and renewed energy for your search.  I am hoping that this can provide me the exact same energy!


I would like to think that my tips, advice, and resources about job searching is inspiring. I try to formulate the tips and advice I provide based on real problems, downfalls, and issues I have as a job seeker that I struggle with every day.  I realize there isn't any to-the-point, hard advice on careers, job search, etc. but, I will tell you that perseverance can pay off. You CAN do it! If it's not working, change it-and hold on tight, because before you know it, you'll have that new position.

What I am thinking is, we need to be creative in our job search. If what we are currently doing isn't working, then what risk or harm is there in changing it up? Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?  I know that I recently changed the adjectives that I was using to describe what I did in my former position.  Realize that all job titles DO NOT transfer across all industries.  We need to generalize what we did in the past to better fit the positions we are striving to get.  How about trying something like sending out information in a handwritten envelope that resembles a thank you letter. Everyone loves a thank you letter, and it guarantees your resume, cover letter, pitch letter, etc. will be read! Unprofessional or genius?  The jury is still out on that theory. 


So the moral of the story is... Hold on, your breakthrough is coming! Be patient and persevere, stay the course; but if the same old song isn't working, then don't be afraid to take a risk and change it up. Learn a new dance, so to speak.  You're doing all the right things, and one day you'll be rewarded with a new promotion, better position, or great new opportunity. You can do it-I believe in you! So put yourself out there, take a few risks, try something new, and above all else, keep your hopes up. 
 
So, as quoted by Franklin D. Roosevelt, "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

1 comment: